Friends of the Dales is a registered charity set up in 1981 which works to protect and enhance the Yorkshire Dales and encourage everyone, from all backgrounds, to value and enjoy this special area.
Friends of the Dales is a significant group of people who love and care about the Dales:
- Some Friends of the Dales support our charity by becoming a member – we have more than 1500 members. If you love the Dales, please join us as an individual or joint member, or as a business or group member. In return you’ll receive a fantastic magazine four times a year plus free entry to our annual events programme.
- Hundreds of other Friends of the Dales support us by attending our events, supporting our campaigns or Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages. Instead of joining with an annual fee some choose to make a donation or leave a legacy to help our charitable work.
- Around 25 of our Friends are regular volunteers – local people who give up their time to lead walks; lobby government and organisations to keep protecting the Dales; look after the membership and finances of the charity or take up the greater responsibility of becoming a Trustee. Together these volunteers contribute over 3,000 hours per year.
- Three part-time members of staff – Ann Shadrake, Executive Director; Victoria Benn, Membership and Events Officer and Penny Lowe, Administration Assistant come together to co-ordinate the Society’s many activities and support our volunteers and Trustees from our office in Gargrave.
What does the Friends of the Dales stand for?
We are the only membership and campaigning charity for the Dales – we want to see this special area remain protected, valued and enjoyed – always. We are, in essence, the friends of the Dales.
How can I support the Friends of the Dales?
Please consider joining us as a member – more members gives us more clout when we stand up and campaign for the Dales. Organisations and government take more notice if we have a large membership behind us!
What benefits do I get as a Member?
- A copy of our quarterly publication The Yorkshire Dales Review delivered through the post
- Free access to our events
How much does it cost to become a Friend?
One person can join Friends of the Dales for £25. Or, two people at the same address can join for just £35.
If you feel able to pay a larger amount up front, you can join as a life member. We also have Business or Group Friends – just £40 per year and great publicity for your organisation.
How do I become a Friend?
I’m not sure membership is right for me
You will always be welcome at our events whether you sign up to membership or not. Could you consider a donation to our charitable work? Even £5 or £10 can help our work to protect the Dales. Ask us about the easy ways to make a donation or make a donation online. We rely entirely on voluntary subscriptions, donations and legacies for our charity’s running costs.